Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Diamond Painting

I know, it sounds so cool, right?  Unfortunately, they aren't real diamonds (sigh).  Also, there's no paint involved.  I consider that a good thing...paint's too messy.

I heard of diamond painting on the HAED FB page.  One lady on there was doing a HAED in this medium rather than cross stitching it.

I thought it looked interesting so I bought myself a kit.  The one I chose was a simple, inexpensive one (not a HAED) just to see if I liked this craft.

It came today!  It came from China and wasn't supposed to be delivered until at least March 9th so getting it 8 days early was a bonus.  I unpacked it and here it is:


The "diamonds" get attached to the front of the canvas, which is sticky.  You can see the color key on the right side of the canvas.  For this particular kit, the diamonds only go on the trees, not the ground.  The pink thing peeking out on the right side, is the grabber "pen" for the diamonds.  If you look closely, you can see that there is a clear plastic sheet covering the canvas - that gets peeled off to expose the stickiness.

Here is a close-up of the "diamonds".  They are small, about 1/8" (2.5mm).  These happen to be round, but I know there is a square version, too.  If you click on the image for a larger view, you will see that these are numbered 741 and 742.  These numbers correspond to DMC color numbers so ordering your own supplies just got simpler!


I got this kit on Amazon.com.  If you were to look for suppliers, the best places appear to be:
Please note:  If you order complete kits from the China suppliers, the images are NOT LICENSED.  That means the artist's work is being ripped off and they are not getting any compensation for their art.

Ordering supplies, the canvas, diamonds, tool, etc., is perfectly fine but please make sure you order the patterns from legitimate sources (your local needlework shop, designers' websites, etc.). 

If I enjoy doing this and like the way it looks, I might do a few of the cross stitch patterns that I own in this  medium rather than stitching them.  I would do the ones I like but not sure I'd ever stitch this way.

Happy Stitching!

Stacy

___________________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer:  I do get paid a commission if you click through on some of the shopping links on my blog.  If you don't like this, just don't click on them. ___________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Heather said...

I've seen these but haven't tried one yet. Looks fun though!

lindamagen said...

Great work I'm starting by myself diamond painting. I got my kits and accessories like these personalized keychains for you. Take a look.